Sunday, October 26, 2014

365 Days, Countless Miracles

From Emri Haynie
Teaching in South Korea

I hit my one year mark on my mission. My mission hasn't only blessed other people's lives, but it's blessed mine. 

Because of the choice I made to serve, it's also been 1 year since I've slept in. One year since I've eaten Mom's tacos. One year since I've driven my car, slept in my bed, watched a movie on the projector, listened to my music, updated my Facebook status, or swam in the Snake River. It has been one year since I have slept over at a friend’s house, gone to Taco Bandido, taken a road trip, eaten an Idaho potato, smelt ethanol in the air, or taken a Sunday nap. One year since I've gone to school and studied math, danced, or laid on the couch and watched TV. One year since I've been on a date. One year since I've been to my Aunt Keri's house and watched The Amazing Race

It's also been one whole year of not seeing my beautiful family, hugging my mom and hearing her say, “I love you.” One year since wrestling dad and calling me a wimp. One year without calling sisters and telling them stories and giving advice to each other. One year since we've all been together. 

But....

It has been 365 days of waking up at 6:30. 365 days of not missing a morning prayer, or scripture study session. One year of perfect church attendance. 365 days of walking, riding buses, subways, knocking on doors sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. One year of studying eternal truths to help others live eternally. The kinds of dates I've been on and planned for are of more importance than the onesI haven't had for a year. Sunday nights are spent on the street finding those families who are prepared and ready to start an amazing race of their own. A whole year of being tired but somehow having the energy and happiness to continue to work hard. 365 days, and who knows how many miracles!

This year I've grown closer to my Heavenly Father than I have in any of the previous 19 years of my life.

This one year has confirmed all of the things I had been taught and the beliefs I had growing up. All those times at church, seminary classes, activities, mutuals, family home evenings, all those dreaded mornings waking up before school to read the scriptures.  I now have a testimony of how important those things really are and I am so grateful for the parents and leaders who knew that before me. 

 I can't believe how fast time has flown and how much I've learned. It definitely hasn't been the easiest of rides but, just as Carlos A. Godoy said in conference, "Sometimes the best roads aren't the easiest."


 I know that this is the road that I need to be on and I am so grateful that the Lord put me on this path. I know that this Church is true. I know Jesus Christ is my Savior. I am so honored to take His place and serve others as He would.