Thursday, February 5, 2015

I Realized How Big the Atonement Is



From Jonah Bench
Teaching in New York, USA

Here's an experience from upstate New York​! We were at branch meeting and afterwards a sister in the branch came up to us and asked for a [Priesthood] blessing. Her husband recently passed away and she has been having a hard time with that. So we sat her down and gave her a blessing. In the blessing, she was told that she would live with her husband for all eternity and that he was waiting for her on the other side. She was blessed with a strong body, and the strength to bear the burdens she is, and will be, facing, and I can't remember the rest. But she was crying at the end and thanked us.
We were like, "Glad we could help!" and went about our way. 

A couple days later, we went to visit her with her home teacher and she told us how thankful she was for that blessing and how much it helped! She said, "My husband has been inactive for a long time and hasn't been living the gospel. He knew it was true, he had the priesthood, and yet he still went inactive. But he had a lot of mental problems, because of that I have been wondering for a long time if he was going to make it! I prayed all the time really hard to find out if he was, and I never got an answer! So I figured maybe I'll get it after he dies. But then he died and I still didn't get an answer! So I figured it was a, ‘No, he didn't make it!’ I was mad at God for a while because of that, but when I got that blessing that told me we would be together forever and that he was waiting for me and I realized how big the Atonement is!”


 That humbled me in a big way! To know that, through no [power] of my own, I was able to give her a blessing, to be an instrument and let God speak through me. Had I not been living right, had I maybe let a bad thought in, had I not been trying the best I could to work hard and be obedient, I would not have had the spirit with me to bring to my mind the things our loving Father in Heaven needed her to hear. I know that God loves us!