Wednesday, March 25, 2015

We Did Not Meet Her by Accident




From Norvel and Karen Christenson
Teaching in Arizona, USA

We had a particularly sweet experience this week as we were out contacting the less active members we have been asked to find.  The first person we met on our mission was a young Native American woman that we met in KFC.  Through the months, we have "lost and found" her several times, but we have always felt that we did not meet her by accident.  On this particular day, we had not really planned to go to her place, but we were out working in her area.  We had actually planned to go to the home of another family, but not thinking just drove past the turn, so we decided we might as well try to drop in on Jessica.  

When we arrived there, we found Jessica and her son in a cold and dark house.  The day was overcast and gloomy, and she was completely out of firewood to heat her house, and she quickly dissolved into tears as we entered.  We sat down around her table, and she said, "I am so tired of my life.  I want to change, but I keep sliding back into alcoholism over and over, Today, I was so frustrated and lonely and so sad that I just fell to my knees and pleaded with God to hear my prayers and to bring me comfort.  I sobbed and sobbed, and as I sat here at my table with my head resting on my arms, I looked up and saw you turning into my driveway.  At that moment, I knew that God had not forgotten me.  I knew that He had heard my prayers."  

We were deeply humbled and grateful that we had come.  One thing we have come to know for sure is that God loves all of His children, and He uses His missionaries to bless their lives. He is mindful of each of us, 

Elder Norvel and Sister Karen Christenson
Serving in Arizona Scottsdale Mission
Assigned to the Pinetop-Lakeside Stake in the White Mountains